Welcome to my blog

After being inspired by many beauty bloggers, I've decided to start my own blog. To share my make up, skincare and other product reviews, opinions and experiences. =P So, Thank you for visiting!

Follow mintfusion on Twitter

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Body Shop Oil Free Foundation SPF 15 Review *Updated 28 Aug 2010*

I have yet to find a foundation I love, I think it really comes down to trail and error. Since what works for some might not work for me and vice versa... Anyway, here's a short review and swatches of The Body Shop's Oil Free Foundation SPF 15 in Shade 02, that I've been using for awhile.

First of here the product info of this foundation.
The Body Shop Oil Free Foundation SPF 15 (30mL / 1.0US FL OZ)
Best if you want to: Perfect and balance skin while minimizing pores with a lightweight, shine-free formula.
Best for: medium to full coverage, oily and combination skin
What it is designed to do:
* Special blend of minerals and high performance spherical powders work together to achieve all-day balanced coverage.
* Sunscreens provide a medium level of broad spectrum UVA and UVB sunscreens to help protect skin.
* Vitamins C and E are antioxidants that help smooth, soften, condition and protect skin for improved radiance.

Ingredients: Water, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Octisalate, Cyclomethicone, Isopropyl Lanolate, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, PEG-20 Methyl Glucose Sesquistearate, Phenoxyethanol, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Polysorbate 20, Benzyl Alcohol, Boron Nitride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Alumina, Silica, Panthenol, Propylparaben, Hectorite, Phenyl Methicone, Methylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Polyacrylate, Octyl Hydroxystearate, Ascorbic Acid, Disodium EDTA, Polysilicone-11, Sodium Methylparaben, Talc, Bladderwrack Powder, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Mica.

Review: The Body Shop’s Oil Free Foundation is a light weight, oil free foundation that is made for oily to combination skin. I decided to give this foundation a go because I wanted something that was oil free and have SPF protection. The sales assistant recommended this one and matched the shade 02. It comes in a plastic pump bottle that's clear in the middle so you can see how much foundation is left. It's pretty convenient and easy to take around.

I was told by the sales assistant that this foundation provided medium coverage, but I found that it didn’t cover much at all. It feels light on the skin but it produced a lot of oil. Once I forgot to apply an oil controlling finishing powder over it, I could seen a heavy sheen on my face. It’s not a long lasting foundation. I found it quite difficult to use because it doesn’t apply smoothly with fingers. The foundation looks smooth from a distance, but when you look closely you can see little dots of foundation that is trapped in my pores, which I felt it made my pores more obvious and unsightly, there's also a very yellow tint to it.


Here's a photo that's closer up. You can’t see it very well in the photos but the foundation actually sinks into the grooves of my skin. Other times it left streaks when you try to apply a bit more to conceal spots and freckles. It looks like it’s stripping away the layer beneath when the new layer is applied. I’ve also tried using this with a makeup sponge but the foundation became uneven and hard to blend.

This is the first time I used makeup by The Body Shop so I didn’t know to expect, but I was pretty disappointed with it. I guess I’ll just stick with their body lotions instead. Have any of you tried other make up by The Body Shop?

---
 *Updated 28 Aug 2010 below*

Excuse me for the late update :P just been a bit busy...

As from the comments below, herroyalbleakness suggested I try using this The Body Shop foundation with the wet sponge method. That's for your suggestions :) I have tried it for a few days. So I'm just going to give everyone a quick update on how it went.

Unfortunately it still did not work for me. From applying this foundation with a wet sponge. I found the coverage becomes very sheer. To me, it's more like the foundation's been diluted and did not give my skin the right coverage as I would like. With the low coverage, it really didn't do much for my skin, personally I think my BB cream does a much better job when I go for a natural sheer look.

I also had problems with it spreadly evenly, the foundation became blotchy and uneven in areas particularly when I use a light dabbing motion. I also noticed it was streaky when you try to spread and still pulls off prevous layer in some areas. On the other hand, because the foundation was thinner, it didn't sink into my pores anymore.

Guess it was a hit or miss thing...

7 comments:

  1. i'm so scared if that foundation sinks into my skin/pore/line.... oh my!
    I never tried body shop makeup line, most of the time, the makeup are too way frosty than what i wish it to be... >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHH no! >< Another blogger disappointed by the Body Shop foundation! Jess from ohhpretty.blogspot.com also found that it was REALLY YELLOW on her and was just horrible and unsightly so she took it back!

    My first ever concealer was actually from the Body Shop - it was that really thick crayon/pencil thing that they sell. The shade was a horrible match - very dark and very yellow. And the stuff was waxy, flaky and didn't blend well at all. Since then haven't touched any makeup from there. Although their brushes are SO SOFT! But I'm still sticking to my guns and refusing to buy anything from their makeup line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this in 03. I thought of selling it, but when I used a wet sponge for application, I was totally in love with it. I have combination oily skin and it works perfectly underneath my mineral powders (EDM, Joppa and Aromaleigh). Yep, it sure is sheer but you could always layer this foundie using the wet sponge technique (just make sure the previous layers dry up first to achieve a poreless look).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ herroyalbleakness, thanks for the suggestions. I will try it out with a wet sponge and see how it goes :) I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sad to hear it didn't work for you. im guessing you've already tried layering the sheer application via the wet sponge method... let's move on to the next foundation, shall we? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this foundation. I've tried MAC, NARS & make-up forever. Doesn't cause break-outs, nice natural glow, covers old scars, SPF a must and not too pricey. I also apply physicians mineral powder over to lock it in, looks great!

    ReplyDelete