This is the old eyelash curler I use to use:
I don’t remember where I bought it and which brand but it’s a cheapie. I haven’t experienced any lash breakage because first of all it doesn’t get all my lashes and second I don’t press very hard. It’s lighter in weight, approximately 11cm in height and feels slightly flimsy. The padding is thinner with a flat top. On the part where it sits on the eyelid, the curve is straight with a sudden bend like the shape of right half of letter Y, the edge pointing up.
The real problem I had with this curler was the face did not fit my face. The concavity of curler did not fit my eye shape, my eyes and cheeks are very flat, but this eyelash curler had a deeper curve. Another problem the hinge stuck out too much which prevented the curler from sitting flat on my face; or reaching to the base of my lashes.
I did some research and found Shiseido, Shu Uemura and KOJI’s eyelash curlers to be quite popular amongst those who wanted a flatter curve. Koji No.71 eyelash curler I bought online, surprising cost less than the old one. It’s slightly heavier, approximately 9cm in height and feels sturdy. The shortened height I felt gave me more control. The padding was a bit taller, like Shu Uemura it has with a mushroom shape top. The eyelid resting piece has a gentle curve out, very similar to the one before but the edge points out. The curve was flatter, the shape was much closer, even though it wasn’t a perfect fit but it was more comfortable to use. The hinge is also smaller and I haven't experienced any pinching at my eyelids. No broken lashes or making my lashes look like right-angle.
I’m pretty happy with this KOJI one. Not bad, it’s quite comfortable to use and very affordable. I have very heavy lids which pushes my lashes down and this curler really lifts my lashes. Another thing is that I try not to use my curlers after mascara unless I'm desperate like my mascara doesn’t curve and looks straight. Mainly because I find it’s easier to crimp your lashes into an L if you press too hard and I don’t like getting my curler dirty from the mascara that gets stripped off.
One of the things I found frustrating was the number of eyelash curlers KOJI has released but in most places, the description is vague. The information below I’ve taken from https://www.webichi.com, all of the KOJI Eyelash curlers listed below comes with a replacement silicon pad. I’m guessing that’s the description on the packaging. Hope it’s somewhat helpful =P
- KOJI No.70 Eyelash Curler Standard Curve: The standard type of Koji Eyelash Curler series. The top band with 33mm in width and 18mm radius fits most people's eyelids.
- KOJI No.71 Eyelash Curler Short Handles: A short handled curler is a portable type of Koji Eyelash Curler series. The top band is 33mm in width and 18mm radius fits most people's eyelids.
- KOJI No.72 Eyelash Curler Foldable Handles: A foldable handle curler is the most portable type of Koji Eyelash Curler series. Perfect to carry in a small cosmetic bag. The top band is 33mm in width and 18mm radius fits most people's eyelids.
- KOJI No.73 Eyelash Curler Wide Curve: Is made wider than the standard curve curler to cover from the corners of eyelashes at one application. The top band is 34mm in width.
- KOJI No.74 Eyelash Curler Wide Curve w/ Short Handles: Is made wider than the standard curve curler to cover from the corners of eyelashes at one application. Short Handles, the top band is 34mm in width.
- KOJI No.100 Eyelash Accent Curler: Suitable to curl hard-to-reach lower eyelashes and corners of eyelashes. It is compact and portable. It is a anti-metal allergy clear coated body.
- KOJI’s MONI Eyelash Curler Regular Curve: Features an extra sturdy construction, smooth opening and closing action. Rounded curler pad creates intense curl. The regular curve type is 33mm in width and 18mm radius top band which fits most people's eyelids. The double handles is developed for more stable hold. The antibacterial clear coated body against a metal allergy cares for delicate skins.
- KOJI’s MONI Eyelash Curler Soft Curve: featuring extra sturdy construction, smooth opening and closing action. Rounded curler pad creates intense curl. The soft curve type is 33mm in width and 22mm radius top band which is suitable for flat eyelids. The double handles is developed for more stable hold. The antibacterial clear coated body against a metal allergy cares for delicate skins.
Updated to include "KOJI No.74 Eyelash Curler", info taken from sasa.com.
Here’s some images on the Shu Uemura and Shiseido so you can compare what they look like. Click image to enlarge.
Disclaimer: These Shu Uemura and Shiseido images have been photoshopped, they have been taken from: