Welcome to my blog

After being inspired by many beauty bloggers, I've decided to start my own blog. To share my make up, skincare and other product reviews, opinions and experiences. =P So, Thank you for visiting!

Follow mintfusion on Twitter

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Mascara Review: Clinique High Definition Lashes + Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Frame Plus

As promised here's my review and comparison on the Clinique’s High Definition Lashes and the Majolica Majorca’s Lash Expander Frame Plus. I was in a hurry to go out yesterday so I didn’t get a chance to take any photos of my lashes with the mascaras on. xD Also the Clinique’s High Definition Lashes mascara I used for this review was my sister’s and I don’t wanna keep opening and closing =P and playing around with it. lol

Clinique’s High Definition Lashes has both a brush and comb on the end. It’s meant to length and define the lashes. So first you use the brush side then use the comb side to individualise the lashes. It has a tall sleek package and heavier in weight. Feels and appears to be made with good quality material, glossy lid and smooth matt bottle, contains 7g.

Majolica Majorca’s Lash Expander Frame Plus, is the 3rd generation of the Lash Expanders. It’s a waterproof mascara that has a small coil/spiral shaped brush and a comb which define and lengthen each lash. some people say it’s meant to frame the eyes with an eyeliner effect. Its packaging is much more girly and shorter in height. It’s lighter and more portable, with a beautiful embossed symbol of the Majolica brand at the top. Although the bottle itself feels very plastic and contains 6g.

What I did: my lashes were only curled once before mascara, i then applied 1 mascara on each eye. After a 12hour test wear with no touch ups. Removed with Clinique’s Take the day off Makeup Remover. I also checked myself in the mirror about 9 hours with the mascaras on. No racoon eyes, the lashes with Clinique’s mascara did drop a bit, but the majolica coated lashes was still just as curled. Unfortunately i have very oily lids, and I did rest my eyes for awhile on the way home, so I found some smudging under my eyes. I wiped under my eyes with each end of the cotton tip. I found both mascara smudged slightly, Majolica’s end of the cotton light was faintly dirtier than Clinique’s.

Clinique: takes longer to dry compared to Majolica’s, visibly lengthened my lashes, lashes appeared thick and deep black but uneven with some lashes thicker than others, doesn’t make my lashes curve much. Did not clump. The problem with brush wands in my opinion is the large amount of mascara liquid attached at the end of the wand. Making it hard to use the end surface of the wand, without getting a huge clump of mascara on the lashes, especially towards the corner of the eye. Although i did manage to get all the lashes with it too. The comb does a good job lengthening the lashes further.

On Removal, the cotton pad soaked with makeup remover was placed on top of the lashes for 8 seconds before I gently wiped it off. All of the mascara removed pretty easily.

In comparison, Majolica: reasonably fast drying, visibly lengthens my lashes but not as long as Clinique’s, lashes appear thick, natural, and coated evenly. Lashes appeared curved, does not clump. Good shaped wand, both the coil and comb is small and easy to use, getting to every lash. Although I do not see any eyeliner effect after application, the comb also does a good job lengthening but there is a lot of fibre on the wand and you need to be careful you don’t get the fibres horizontal on your lashes because it can appear messy.

On Removal, this mascara’s pretty notorious for being a pain to remove, not surprising since because if its waterproof properties, which usually requires a oil based makeup remover. Again the cotton pad soaked with makeup remover was placed on top of the lashes for 8 seconds before gentling wiping it off. All of the mascara was removed although it required a bit more working at.

At first I thought the makeup remover didn’t take all the Majolica’s mascara off because the cotton pad was so light and while Clinique’s mascara was looked pretty dirty. So I watched my face with my Neutrogena facewash + makeup remove, and found nothing.
After swatching some on my hand I could see on Majolica’s mascara, the colour is a quite light, while the fibre attached is like short fine black hair, which is probably how it gives such a natural look without an overpowering black lash build up. I would describe the liquid’s job to attached these fibres to the real lashes and merge the joins faultlessly.
Clinique’s on the other hand, is a creamy true black texture which attaches itself to the whole lash and extending the ends out. Which is why the cotton pad appeared much darker and dirtier.

As you can see in the picture, the cotton tip used to wipe Clinique’s high definition lashes is a much denser black. While Majolica Majorca’s lash expander frame plus is a lighter black and pieces of fine black fibre remains on the cotton tip.


Overall:
The Clinique’s High Definition Lashes mascara, I’m amazed at the results. It really helps frame my eyes, giving me long thick lashes, doesn’t smudge even after 8 hours. On the downside, my lashes did drop a bit and it doesn’t curve my lashes much. Also you can really build up on the thickness and length of the lashes.

Majolica Majorca’s Lash Expander Frame Plus, was also beautiful in its own way. Does lengthen but not to the degree of Clinique’s High Definition Lashes. Doesn’t frame the eyes are well but the results are very natural. It’s excellent when it comes to holding up the curls and also did not smudge after 8 hours. I found the wand a lot easier to use and it’s very compact to travel with. The bottle itself is much more aesthetically pleasing.

3 comments:

  1. wow..nice show down...
    nice in-detail review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl~
    Thanks for dropping by my blog and following.=)
    Thanks for the comparion review on these two mascaras. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review! I'm gonna try majo majo real soon!

    ReplyDelete